Sunday, May 31, 2009

Weeding

As some of you know, I am learning how to grow and maintain a garden with the hopes of having a vegetable garden in the near future. I don't know very much, but I do know something about weeds! Weeds are a constant enemy. You pull them out by the root and a week later more have sprouted. It would be great if I could just pull them out once and be done with it, but that is not the case. So, what's wrong with a few weeds, anyway? First of all, they look bad. We spend a lot of time and money putting in new plants only to have ugly weeds taint their beauty. But on a more practical level, weeds steal the much-needed nutrients and water that your plants need.

I just think it's awesome that God gave us something as simple as weeds to help us understand some of the complexities of life. Think about it...what are the weeds in your life? What things are draining your time, energy and joy? Is there anything that is taking your time and attention away from the more important things (or people) in your life? I certainly have my share of weeds and a goal of mine is to root them out. As a wife and mom, my first priority is my husband and children and yet there is always something that tries to take my attention away from them. Someone will ask me for help with this or I'll volunteer to help with that. I have a hard time saying "no" because I think that I can "do it all". While I may accomplish a lot, I sometimes feel that I spent my time on something that I was never meant to do.

In almost every store that sells home decor you'll see the wall signs that say things like "Simplify". They sort of make me laugh because I wonder if the people who purchase them really try "simplify" their lives or if it's just for feel-good sentiment. I must admit that I almost purchased one at Hobby Lobby the other day...but I feel as if I need to really simplify my life before I add it as a mantra on my wall.

I'm beginning to pull out the weeds in my life and the more I simplify, the more peace I feel in my heart. Some may say that being a "just a wife and mom" is old fashioned or unimportant. The feminist certainly have their opinions. Others would say that I should focus on a career instead and make more money, fill up the bank account. I love a full bank account as much as the next person but no amount of money is worth me missing out on the opportunity to help shape the two young little lives that God has entrusted to me.

No job can compete with the responsibility of shaping and molding a human being in the morning of his or her life. I know this because after the birth of my first child I had to return to work full time when she was only 7 weeks old. I know what it's like to have to get up 4:30 in the morning after only three hours of sleep and drop a baby off at daycare and then head off to work for the next eight to nine hours. It was during that time that I began to pray and ask God for direction. At that time, it was not financially possible for me to stay at home with my daughter - I had to work. I knew that if God wanted me at home then He would have to be the one to make that happen and He did. The first year of me being home was financially tight but God later blessed my husband with a new job that made up for my lost salary. I can truly say that I am home with my kids because of the work that God has done in our lives. But, God first waited for me to put my complete trust in Him and in His timing before He made it happen!

I am blessed to have a husband that shares my views and supports my position in the home. I understand the burden he feels as the sole provider of the family and I appreciate all that he does for us. My husband is simply the best! As I type, my little girl is hanging her arms around my neck telling me that she loves me and I'm watching my little boy run around the house in his dinosaur costume. Life as a mom is priceless and I'm loving each and every day that God gives me with my kids!

No comments: