Monday, May 25, 2009

Silhouettes


For Mother's Day, I created silhouettes of the kids for the grandmas (I made one for myself, too). To create these, I first took pictures of the kids from the side. This was actually quite challenging! I had them stand on their stool in the bathroom and told them to look at their noses in the mirror. I then took a ton of pictures until I had one that would work. Here are the pictures I chose:



I found some great instructions on The Long Thread on how to make these by hand (click the link and it'll take you to the tutorial). Being a graphic designer, however, it was easier for me to just clip their pictures in Photoshop and fill them in black. I created an 8.5 x 11 file in Illustrator, placed their silhouettes and added their names and birthdays and printed it out on white cardstock. So, if you're familiar with graphic software like me, you may find it easier to do these digitally. If you're not, then check out The Long Thread for made-by-hand instructions. No matter which way you choose to make these, they turn out great. Silhouettes are a classic and I love the simplicity of them.

No comments: