Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve

I remember my mom telling me when I was younger that we go through hard times because God uses those times in our lives to build character. I used to roll my eyes and say that I had enough character-building! But, she was right. Throughout my life I've come across people who have tried to exclude me for whatever reason. Maybe they didn't like my personality or maybe I wasn't cool enough, I don't know. My mom used to say that they could be jealous but honestly I never knew what there was about me to be jealous of! Most women know how mean and "catty" other women can be. Feeling excluded is hard no matter how much self-esteem you have. I used to always ask God why he allowed those things to happen to me and now I know why. It's because I've been excluded that I now feel a sensitivity towards those who are on the "outside", those who are not a part of the clique. It's that sensitivity that inspires me to meet new people, invite them to coffee or invite them to Sunday School. Yep, even Christians can be exclusive at times! I've seen it happen, unfortunately, but people will be people no matter what they believe. It may be cliche, but maybe we really do need to ask ourselves what Jesus would do. Would Jesus shun someone because they weren't dressed like us or drive the right car? Would Jesus keep someone out of a group of friends because he felt his popularity might be threatened? Would Jesus befriend someone because he thought it might benefit him socially or financially? No, he wouldn't. How do I know? Well the bible says he was a friend of sinners - the outcasts and misfits of the world. After all, he came to save the lost, not those who think they don't need to be saved. And that's just one of the reasons why I think Jesus rocks. My biggest pet peeve is people who exclude others and I'm making it my mission to be friendly to all people, whether it benefits me or not.

No comments: