Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yes, I'm Still Here :o)


As the first semester of 1st Grade comes to a close, I'm finally able to think about things that I want to do - like updating my blog!  I prayed a dangerous prayer at the beginning of this school year.  I prayed that the Lord would remove the things in my life that distracted me from what His will is for my life. And I think He was happy to answer that prayer!  

This school year has gone great so far mainly because I've been so focused on the kids and less distracted by other things.  I almost feel as if I've been in some sort of hibernation, however, not isolated.  We've been very active in our homeschool group and have enjoyed several exciting field trips so far: Museum of Natural Science (special mummy exhibit), Renaissance Festival and Six Strings Music Academy.  Each week we enjoy attending classes at our teaching co-op and playing at the park with our homeschool friends.  Ella's reading skills are improving and I'm so proud of her!  However, she is shy about it and tends to clam up when other people put her on the spot.  She's always been that way.  My little guy says that he wants to 'do school like Ella' so I'm going with it!  He sat down and did several preschool worksheets with me the other day.  I taught him the correct way to hold a pencil and he was very careful to do it the right way.  He knows his letters/numbers, but this was the first time that he every tried to trace them.  He was very proud of his efforts :o)  And his sister was proud of him, too.

Our Girl Scout Daisy troop has been wonderful for me and Ella.  The girls have had fun earning petals and patches.  They have also enjoyed grooming horses at the GS camp, seeing 'The Nutcracker' together, and doing service projects such as cleaning up a local park, putting together a birthday box for a girl in need and purchasing farm animals to help needy families across the globe.

Thanksgiving was a fun time for us.  We bought a new car, hosted Thanksgiving dinner at our house (complete with fried turkey!), baked a WONDERFUL pie that we have dubbed the "Court and Leslie Campbell Annual Holiday Pie" (our newest tradition for our little family) and camped in the hill country with my best friend and her family (it was Allison's first time ever to camp.  She did AWESOME!).

December has been a wonderful month for us as we look forward to spending the holidays with family.  The kids have enjoyed some holiday fun, such as: decorating gingerbread houses with friends, watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas music, decorating the tree, and we are looking forward to the homeschool association's annual Christmas party.  

Several upcoming blog posts will include: The Alford-Campbell Camping Trip, Having a Christ-Focused Christmas, Thanksgiving Lapbook, Most Awesome Holiday Pie Ever and whatever else I like writing about :o)  Blogging is sort of like designing in the fact that I have to feel inspired to blog.  No inspiration means no posts.  I've had plenty to blog about over the past few months, but no inspiration or motivation to do it.  But the blog has been on my mind lately and I've felt the itch to write again.  We'll see what I come up with!

Talk to you soon,
Leslie

(As Christmas approaches, I thought a pic of Buddy and the Coca-Cola bear would be an appropriate choice. The picture above was taken at The World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta)

No comments: