Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Modern Cloth Diaper


Cloth diapers have come a long way from the way they were when I was a baby. In fact, if cloth diapers were the same today as they were years ago, then they would have had absolutely no appeal to me. However, in my search of ways to save money, I came across these little gems - they're called gDiapers. And they're awesome! Christian loves his new gDiapers, too. Doesn't he look cute in his little gDiaper?! They seem to be more comfy than regular disposable diapers. I purchased two starter kits (pictured below) and so far I am very impressed. It's an initial investment, but in the long run we'll save around $300, assuming my son will be potty trained in 6 to 8 months. The starter kits are $26.99 on the gDiaper website, however, I found them onsale at my local H-E-B for $19.99.


Here's how they work: You take the outer gPant, put either a gDiaper flushable insert or a cloth insert into the breathable nylon liner and then put it on your baby like a regular diaper. When the insert is wet, either flush or throw away the biodegradible insert or wash the cloth insert and replace with a new one. If it's poopy, then you'll unsnap the nylon liner and replace it with a new liner filled with a new insert. Simply wash the nylon liner and dry for the next use. My son wore his gDiaper to bed and woke up with a majorly poopy diaper. To my surprise, the outer gPant was completely dry! In fact, I only had to change the inserts and the nylon liner and he wore the same gPant for the entire day.


I'm totally hooked on these diapers. I'll mostly use cloth inserts since they'll save $$$, but I'll keep some of the flushable inserts on hand for when I'm traveling or out and about. I realize this means that I'll be washing diapers frequently, but it's really not that big of a deal since I wash a lot of laundry as it is. I recently learned that disposable diapers contain cholrine, which causes many children to have diaper rash. My son has very sensitive skin so I'm hoping that making this switch will help clear up his little behind. Another added benefit of switching to the modern cloth diaper is that they're great for the enviroment - regular disposable diapers sit in landfills. The flushable inserts are re-absorbed back into the eco-system in a neutral or beneficial way. So you are literally turning waste into a resource. You can even compost the wet ones! No landfills necessary. "Happy baby, happy planet!" If you're tired of paying tons of money for diapers each month or if you're looking for ways to help the planet, then I highly encourage you to try gDiapers. I think you'll love them!

No comments: