Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Updates - on getting crafty, new hobies and life in general

It's been a while since I've blogged so I thought I'd post one large blog of some of the things that are going on and to give a glimpse of some of the goals I have for the near future.

I'm starting to get the itch to get crafty again. I've got several projects that I've started but haven't finished. I'm so inspired by all of the crafty blogs that are out there (several of them are listed under my list of favorite blogs). Most of my blogs have to do with my family life, but I do try to post crafty stuff, too. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had as much time to craft as I would like. Both my husband and I are learning to play the guitar so most of my free moments have been spent playing around on my guitar or on the computer. But, I have several projects that I hope to complete over the next few months and I hope to post them as I get them done.

Some projects I have in mind are:
*more hair bow holders to give as gifts
*more t-shirt dresses for Ella
*applique t-shirts for Christian
*pincushion
*nursing covers for my nursing friends with babies

Besides sewing and crafts, I'd also like to tackle another oil painting. I guess all I need for that is the inspiration...if nothing spectacular comes to me, then I may just paint a still life to work on my technique. We'll see.

I am also looking for ways to get Ella involved. She loves arts and crafts. I think it's so good for kids to be creative and it's also good for their fine motor skills, which helps them learn how to write. Court and I have made the decision to homeschool our kids so I'd like to add art to her curriculum. Which, by the way, I've selected a curriculum that is absolutely awesome - Sonlight Curriculum (click the link to learn more). Sonlight provides everything you need for an entire year of homeschooling and covers every topic your child needs. It also lays out your lesson plans for each day. My good friend Tisha uses it with her kids so I've got to see it first hand. Her kids are learning so much - in fact, her 11 year old said that she's learning way more than she learned in public school and that she actually enjoys her school work now! I'm hoping to have the same success with my own kids, but we'll take it year by year and see how it goes. Their education is so important to Court and I and we want the absolute best for them - we just think we can do a better job than public schools are doing :o) Besides, no teacher (no matter how wonderful he/she may be) could ever care more for my kid's education than Court and I! So, if you are a close friend or relative, then we definitely could use your prayers and support for the journey ahead!

We have many reasons for homeschooling and I'll address those in another blog at another time (click this link to read a good article about reasons for homeschooling). Trust me, we've given it much thought. It was actually Court's idea! I thought the idea was nuts when he mentioned it to me two years ago. But, after much thought, much research (a lot of research!) and many prayers, I now believe that this is the path God wants my family to take. God has changed my heart from being fearful of homeschooling to being confident and excited! Plus, it's great to know that I live in a city that has a lot of homeschooling groups for support and so that my kids can connect with other kids their age. Am I qualified to teach my own kids? Can I do it? Well, I think I can. I do have a college degree and some experience in teaching young children. But mostly, I believe that when God calls us to do something, he always equips us with what we need to get the job done.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Moving on, another goal for this year is to learn how to garden. Up til now, I've had more of a black thumb than a green one. I'd like to change that. Court and I spent all day working on our backyard last Saturday and I really enjoyed it. We picked weeds, planted plants/flowers, etc. We're even growing our own tomatoes! The kids are into it as well. They have several flower seeds that they planted and we're anxious to see them sprout. Once we start homeschooling, I'd like for Ella and I to plant a vegetable garden together. I think it will be a great hands-on science lesson for her! Maybe it will inspire her to eat more vegetables :o)

For now, much of my free time has been devoted to helping my mom plan my sisters wedding. We're throwing her a bridal shower this Saturday and I'm praying for good weather since it will be outdoors! I'm really excited about the shower and I'll be sure to post it on my blog.

Perhaps the most exciting thing lined up is our trip to Disney World! Ella is so excited and both of the kids are going to love spending time with Mimi and Poppy. They don't get to see them much, but they LOVE them and talk about them frequently. Even Christian talks about them. Sometimes when I tuck him in at night he'll say, "Mimi? Georgia!" and I'll reply, "Yes, Mimi is in Georgia!". I'm especially looking forward to Ella's lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table and seeing Cirque Du Soleil. Cirque Du Soleil is right up my ally! I love artsy stuff.

Tonight is rather peaceful in my home. The kids are in bed, my house is clean (mostly), the ironing is done, dishes are in the dishwasher and all I hear is the sound of my typing and my dog snoring. I love the stillness of it all after a long day of noisy kids :o) I'm sure I'll regret staying up so late, but it's only when I stay up late that I get to enjoy silence and solitude.

I'll leave you with a verse to chew on. The qualities below are qualities that God wants his children to exhibit in their daily lives. Unfortunately, I do not always exhibit these qualities but I do strive to each day. As I mentioned before, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." - Galatians 5:22, 23


No comments: