Monday, January 24, 2011

My New Favorite Food Blog!


Court and I are doing our best to eat 'au naturel'.  This means lean meats, fish/seafood, lots of veggies, some fruits, some whole grains, no dairy and little to no processed foods.  This also means doing more food preparation and cooking, which I don't mind.  In fact, I prefer it!  Eating out too often upsets my stomach and makes me feel boated.

I was getting a little tired of simply grilling a meat and cooking a vegetable or preparing a salad so I began searching for a good paleo diet recipe site.  The Paleo Diet is simply this:

"With readily available modern foods, The Paleo Diet mimics the types of foods every single person on the planet ate prior to the Agricultural Revolution (a mere 500 generations ago). These foods (fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and seafood) are high in the beneficial nutrients (soluble fiber, antioxidant vitamins, phytochemicals, omega-3 and monounsaturated fats, and low-glycemic carbohydrates) that promote good health and are low in the foods and nutrients (refined sugars and grains, saturated and trans fats, salt, high-glycemic carbohydrates, and processed foods) that frequently may cause weight gain, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and numerous other health problems. The Paleo Diet encourages dieters to replace dairy and grain products with fresh fruits and vegetables — foods that are more nutritious than whole grains or dairy products." 
(from Paleo Plan)

If you're used to eating out often and frequently intake processed foods (chips, cookies, pizza, etc.), then eating this way would seem pretty severe.  However, over the past year we have slowly been drifting this way, as far as diet goes, so it's not such a shock to us.  In fact, it can be enjoyable (thanks to herbs, olive oil & spices) and I no longer feel controlled by food (i.e. 'I must have a cookie!').  Granted, I have my moments...after watching a chocolate competition on TLC I told my husband that he needed to turn it off so I wouldn't leave the house to go purchase a chocolate bar.  I've found that if I don't keep junk in my house then I won't eat it, so temptation to cheat isn't much of a problem.

We all know that we're supposed to 'eat healthy' so I won't go into that - most Americans know they should eat better, but they choose not to (like we did for years).  So, if you want to try a healthy diet then check out the recipes from The Food Lovers' Primal Palate.

No comments: