Thursday, December 31, 2009

In Search of a Simple Life



Those of you who crave a simple and less material life will enjoy this post from Down to Earth. That's me in the picture above holding a handmade Christmas card from my daughter :o)

Here's an excerpt:
"It never occurred to me when I was a spender that I was actually giving away my independence. I thought the opposite....What I was doing was working in a job I didn't like so I had enough money to pay for a lifestyle I didn't want to live. I was shopping for clothes and shoes to make me look like everyone else, I was buying things for my home to make me feel comfortable in a place I didn't take the time to feel comfortable in, and I was buying foods to comfort and nurture because I didn't feel at ease in my life and I didn't have the time or energy to cook the foods I liked."

It's amazing how when we stop focusing on the material things of life we begin to really enjoy what really matters in this life.  My husband, my kids, my family, my God - those are the things that really matter to me.



Don't get me wrong, I love a new purse or new pair of shoes as much as the next girl, but I wouldn't dare sacrifice what is most dear to me in order to have them.

 

"Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?"
-Luke 9:23-25, The Holy Bible (NIV)

No comments: