Monday, June 22, 2009

Updating Kitchen Accessories

I must say that I love my kitchen. Even though my house is small, my kitchen is quite large with black granite countertops and tall cherry wood cabinets. However, I was beginning to get tired of some of the accessories in my kitchen. It was time for an update. It's amazing how just switching out a few things can liven up a room. And the best part is that I did not have to spend a ton of money to do it. When I got married seven years ago, the Fat Chef themed kitchen accessories (from Bed, Bath and Beyond) were what I chose for my kitchen. Now that everyone and their grandma has Fat Chef stuff in their kitchen, I'd like something different.


I found these two damask plates at Target and LOVED them! I bought these to replace the Fat Chef kitchen themed tiles that were hanging there before.



Another great buy that I got from Target is this Orla Kiery canister. However, I'm using it as a untensil holder instead. And, you guessed it, my old utensil holder had Fat Chefs on it :o) I first saw this canister about two months ago for $17 but I waited for it to go on clearance. Good things come to those who wait because I bought it for $8.98. On another note, you can find Orla Kiery dresses at Anthropologie.




And how fabulous is this Houston dish towel from Cat Studio?! They offer dish towels and other items that feature the 50 states and several cities and regions. You can order one for yourself online at Uncommon Goods. I was lucky enough to find one here in town at Memorial Antiques & Interiors - and it was on sale for only $14! The floral dishtowel was another great Target find.
The item that started the accessory redo is my Martha Stewart tea kettle from Macy's. I LOVE it! My sister has the same tea kettle in Martha's signature blue. My husband hates this kettle because it does not whistle when the water boils, but that's not enough to make me want to hide it away in a cabinet! It's just too pretty!


Remember my "tea" digital art from several weeks ago? Well I finally printed it and mounted it on a wooden tray that I found at Hobby Lobby. I covered the bottom of the tray with scrapbook paper and nailed a small canvas to the tray. I then painted the edges of the canvas red and used spray adhesive to mount the printed piece and voila! It's done!

The changes that I made were small but I think they helped make my kitchen a little more personalized than it was before. I'm not exactly sure how I would define my style - all I know is that I buy what I like! If it comes from Pottery Barn, Target or Anthropologie, then I'll most likely love it :o) And if it's a bargin, then I love it even more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across spacify.com, for the best selection of Kitchen Accessories