Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Amy's Bridal Shower


Amy had her first bridal shower a couple weeks ago (that's her standing next to me on the left). My mom and I, along with my mom's friend Penny, threw the shower for her. Mom's friend, Susie, was gracious enough to let us host the shower in her home. Luckily for us, she also had a fine collection of dinnerware and vases that she let us use. We had a good turn-out of about 25 people. Our original plan was to have a garden party outside on her deck yet mother nature had other plans. The rain kept the party indoors, but everything still turned out beautiful. If I had to give the shower a theme I'd call it "vintage garden" (that's the look we were going for, anyway).




Our spread included cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad croissant sandwiches, fruit, cheese ball, broccoli salad and punch. Yum! Notice Ella in the background - so sweet! This was her first shower to attend.



My mom gave me a cupcake decorating book for Christmas so I was thrilled to be able to use it for the shower. The center of the "flowers" are vanilla wafers. Amy, mom and I decorated the cupcakes together. We're not professionals, but I think we did a pretty good job!


I wanted my gift to Amy to fit into our theme so I put together a basket of kitchen items in her favorite shade of blue. I included a Martha Stuart blue colander, white ceramic bird salt and pepper shakers, vintage style dish towels, a cook book stand, vintage blue and white pyrex mixing bowls (found on Etsy) and a vintage apron that I picked up at an antique shop in Tomball.


Okay, I know it's weird to blog about my gift but I loved what I gave her! These are the vintage pyrex bowls I found. Vintage pyrex is quickly becoming a new obsession of mine.


Ella had a very special job. It was her duty to bring her aunt her presents and I must say that she did an excellent job. We also played a couple fun games including "how well do you know the bride?" and "Mr. Right", a game where you pass the gift to the left and right according to when the words "left" and "right" are read aloud in the story. Game prizes were J.R. Watkins hand & cuticle salve and a ceramic plaque found at Target that read, "Do not treat me any differently than you would the Queen". Too cute, eh?


It's all about the china, isn't it ladies?!


Susie's sweet kitty loved lazing around by the fire. I had to include her picture because she looks so sweet!


My mom had her old wedding gown made into some special items for Amy's wedding - a ring pillow for the ring bearer (who happens to be my 2 year old son) and a garter. There's a place in Houston called Embellishments that specializes in sewing pillows (among other things) out of vintage fabrics.


From the left: me, Brenda (mom), Amy, the groom-to-be's sister and his mom, Kathy. Ella was happy to pose for this shot.

No comments: